- Ceramic countertops offer a clean and simple look for a bathroom vanity
- They are available in many different sizes and style options to suit your bathroom vanity.
- The integrated sink and countertop provide an elegant and seamless look
- A clean crisp white countertop will also always be in style, and is therefore a timeless look that you do not have to worry about looking dated
- It is easy to keep such a countertop clean and maintained, as there are no gaps between the sink and top in which dirt can build up
- Ceramic Is available in various thicknesses, depending on how large of a profile one wants their top to have.
- Ceramic is less expensive than quartz and granite options, so it serves as a great choice when trying to keep costs down
- One of the downsides of ceramic countertops is that they are prone to cracks and breakage. Dropping a heavy object onto the countertop can cause cracks and chips in the counter that cannot be repaired. Therefore, this type of material can be problematic for a bathroom that is being frequently used and is subject to a lot of wear and tear
Pictured is a ceramic top from Fairmont Designs. These tops are available in multiple sizes and thicknesses, as well as with single hole or 8″ centre hole drill patters for faucets
- Marble is a timeless and elegant material that will add a rich look to your bathroom vanity. The naturally occurring material comes in a wide range of beautiful and unique colours that can match any style of décor.
- While marble provides a high-end look, it does not require a good amount of maintenance to keep it in good condition
- Marble is heat resistant, but it can stain and chip easily.
- Marble is a porous material, meaning it absorbs water and other liquids. This means that it is very easy to stain this type of material, and very difficult to get the stains out once they are in. It is therefore very important to be careful around this type of countertop when using products like hair dye or nail polishes that can ruin the finish. Marble can be sealed to help prevent this, but it is something that will need to be done every so often to help protect it.
- Marble is also softer than quartz or granite, so it is more prone to chips and cracks. A heavy object falling on the countertop can cause damage to the surface that is difficult to hide
- With proper care and maintenance, you can keep your marble top looking beautiful for years to come.
Pictured is a marble countertop from Fairmont Designs in a popular White Carrera finish
- Granite is a naturally occurring stone that is a popular choice for bathroom countertops. It is extremely hard and durable, and is resistant to scratches and chips
- Therefore you do not have to worry about damaging your bathroom countertop if something were to fall o nit. These tops are also heat resistant, so a hot styling tool will not damage the surface of your vanity if it touches the granite top.
- Granite tops are usually sealed to protect them from being stained by liquids. A granite top will not stain easily, but it can happen if liquids are left on its surface for too long
- Granite countertops are available in a wide array of colours and patterns that will match the look and feel of your bathroom vanity and décor.
- Granite is a great low maintenance option for bathroom countertops, however due it rich look and feel it will be higher in cost.
Pictured is a granite top in Black Absolute from Fairmont designs
- Quartz is amongst the strongest and most popular countertop materials for bathroom cabinetry
- Quartz is very low maintenance due to its naturally desirable properties
- It is a non-porous stone, and will therefore resist water spots and stains
- The surface is also heat resistant, so you don’t have to worry about any hot styling tools burning the surface of your countertop
- Quartz tops don’t need to be sealed, so maintaining them is very easy
- One of the biggest positives about quartz is that it is an extremely strong material that is heat, scratch, and chip resistant. This means you don’t have to worry about your countertop being damaged even when it is being used frequently. It is very unlikely that your top will be damaged, even if you were to accidentally drop a heavy or sharp object on it
- Quartz countertops are manufactured and blended to give them their unique look, and therefore come in a very wide variety of patterns and colours. This makes it easy to find a quartz top that will match the style and décor of your bathroom vanity
- One of the drawbacks to quartz countertops is that they are priced on the higher side than other countertop materials
Pictured is a Rock Solid Stonewood cabinet with a Quartz vanity top. Available in a variety of finishes
Some other practical things to keep in mind whilst deciding on a material for your countertop is your splash range, the bathroom the countertop is going in, that is whether it is a master’s bathroom, kid’s bathroom, or children’s bathroom, and it’s usage.
While often overlooked, when matched with other decor pieces in your bathroom, such as your paint, vanities, and other accessories, countertops can really make your bathroom leave a positive impression on your guests!
For further inquiries on bathroom countertops, and to make sure you pick the right one based on your personal needs, contact Millcreek Bath and Kitchen and our decor experts would love to help you!